There are currently 4 companies which offer direct connections from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui. The alternatives to taking a direct service are: (1) get a taxi direct to the ferry port in Donsak or (2) go to Surat Thani city to get a bus to the ferry terminal or (3) take the Night Boat which leaves from a pier in Surat Thani city.
Bus and Ferry Times from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui
There are currently 15 services a day from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui available to book online.
|Travel Company||Airport||Koh Samui||Ticket Price|
|Raja Ferry||08:15||12:00||400 THB|
|Seatran Ferry||08:30||12:30||480 THB|
|Raja Ferry||09:15||12:30||400 THB|
|Seatran Ferry||09:30||13:30||480 THB|
|Raja Ferry||09:45||14:30||400 THB|
|Seatran Ferry||13:30||17:30||480 THB|
|Seatran Ferry||14:30||18:30||480 THB|
|Raja Ferry||15:15||19:30||400 THB|
Buy Tickets from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui
Tickets for travel between Surat Thani Airport and Koh Samui can be booked online using the Search Box below.
- Compare ticket prices and travel times.
- Secure online booking.
- Instant ticket confirmation.
Option 1: Raja Ferry from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui
The Raja Company operates a car ferry service and has a fleet of minivans which it uses to take passengers from the airport to the car ferry port. The journey to Donsak Raja Ferry Port takes 1 hour 30 minutes by minivan. The ferry journey from the mainland to Koh Samui also takes around 1 hours 30 minutes. If, for whatever reason, you miss your connection for a ferry or arrive early, Donsak Raja Ferry Port is pleasant enough place to wait: in addition to some scenery, there is a fairly cheap restaurant (the food is generally OK), clean toilets and a small shop. The last Raja ferry from Donsak to Koh Samui is at 19.00.
- Service: The Raja Ferry Company will take you all the way from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui, first by minivan and then by ferry.
- Journey Time: 3 hours 15 minutes to 4 hours 45 minutes.
- Cost: 400 THB (excluding transfer to your hotel on Koh Samui).
- Arrival Point for this Service: Lipa Noi Pier in Koh Samui. Lipa Noi is on the other side of Island to major resorts towns of Bophut, Chaweng and Lamai.
- Raja Ferry travel times from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui:
Option 2: Seatran Ferry from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui
The Seatran Ferry service is similar to the Raja Ferry service:
- 1) Seatran Ferry charges 480 THB per person.
- 2) Seatran Ferry boats uses car ferries.
- 3) The Seatran Ferry services arrive in Koh Samui at a pier in Nathon.
- Seatran Ferry travel times from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui:
- Arrival Point for this Service: Nathon Seatran Pier in Koh Samui
Option 3: Lomprayah Ferry from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui
You can buy your ticket for the Lomprayah High Speed Ferry service on arrival at Surat Thani Airport: they have a ticket kiosk on the Ground Floor near where you exit after clearing customs. However, this service is the most popular one out of the four between Surat Thani Airport and Koh Samui and often sells out before day of travel in high season, so booking in advance is advisable. The same boat which travels to Koh Samui then carries onto Koh Phangan. This means that for a week before the monthly Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan and a week after the Lomprayah ferry becomes very busy transporting the tens of thousands of party goers making their way to and from the Full Moon Party. The closer your dates of travel coincide with the date of the monthly Full Moon Party the more important it is that you book in advance. Lomprayah ferries has very recently started departing from a pier close to Surat Thani City which means passengers using the Lomprayah ferry avoid the very long drive (90 minutes) to get from the airport to Donsak, where other ferry services depart.
- Service: This is a much quicker and more comfortable service than the other services from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui.
- Cost: 850 THB.
- Journey Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Travel Tip: The most popular of the four services.
- Lomprayah Ferry travel times Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui:
- The Arrival Point for this Service: Na Thon Lomprayah Pier in Koh Samui
Option 4: Phantip Travel from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui
The bus journey from the airport to the ferry terminal takes around 1 hour 30 minutes and the sea crossing also takes around 1 hour 30 minutes. Neither the bus or the ferry is particularly luxuriously but this is a cheap, quick and efficient service and it represents excellent value for money. Phantip Travel is a reliable company which has been in business since 1970 transporting visitors to and from the islands of the Samui Archipelago and more recently from Surat Thani to destinations further afield such as Koh Phi Phi and Hat Yai.
- Service: This is a ‘no frills’ service taking passengers rapidly and cheaply by bus to Donsak Seatran Pier and then over to Na Thon Pier on the Seatran Car Ferry.
- Cost: 400 THB
- Journey Time: 3 hours 15 minutes to 4 hours 15 minutes
- Phantip Travel travel times from Surat Thani Airport to Koh Samui:
- The Arrival Point for this Service: Na Thon Seatran Pier in Koh Samui
Taxi to the ferry terminal
You can also take a Taxi from the Airport to Donsak ferry terminal for around 1,500 THB – you need to agree the price with the driver in advance. The journey time is quicker than the bus at around 1 hour. A word of caution though with relying on taxis as it is not always possible to find a taxi at Surat Thani Airport. If there are taxis available you will find them in the car park in front of the entrance to the Ground Floor arrival hall.
The Raja and Seatran ferry companies operate from piers a couple of kilometres apart from each other. Raja ferries run on the hour every from 05.00 to 19.00 at night from Donsak to Koh Samui. Seatran also runs every hour, on the hour every hour from 06.00 to 19.00 from Donsak to Koh Samui.
Route to Donsak ferry pier
- Distance from Surat Thani Airport to Donsak ferry pier: 95.5 Kilometres
- Travel time from Surat Thani Airport to Donsak ferry pier: 1 hour 44 minutes
Arrival after 15:15
If you are arriving at Surat Thani Airport after 15:15 you are better off spending the night in Surat Thani as it is too late to travel to Koh Samui, Koh Phangan or Koh Tao unless you take the Night Boat. Most of the accommodation near the Donsak ferry terminals is not very good and not near any restaurants or bars. By far the best hotels are in the centre of Surat Thani are:
A minivan is the best way to travel from Surat Thani Airport to Surat Thani Town. Minivans depart from Surat Thani Airport to Surat Thani town (Bus Station) at 07:40, 08:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:20, 14:00, 16:00, 17:20, 19:20 and 21:15 and cost 100 THB per person.