There are four companies which will take you directly from Koh Samui to Surat Thani Airport: 1. Raja Car Ferry Company. 2. Phantip Travel Company 3. Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Company, and 4. Seatran Discovery Company. The quickest option takes 2 hours 45 minutes, and the slowest option takes around 4 hours. Tickets prices range from 450 THB per person to 850 Thai Baht.
Comparison of the Four Services from Koh Samui to Surat Thani Airport
These travel times are from when from the ferry departs from Koh Samui to the point when passengers arrive at Surat Thani Airport.
|Ticket Price||Travel Time|
|Phantip Travel||450 THB||4 hr 30 min|
|Raja Ferry *||580 THB||5 hrs 30 min|
|Seatran Discovery||680 THB||4 hr 00 min|
|Lomprayah Ferry *||700 THB||3 hrs 00 min|
* The price charged by the Raja Ferry Company includes minivan transfer from your hotel to the ferry pier. The journey time takes the minivan transfer times in account. You can also book a ticket online for 380 THB but passengers need to make their own way to Lipa Noi Ferry Pier to start their journey to Surat Thani Airport.
* Passengers can also book a transfer from their hotel to the ferry pier with the Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Company. Tickets costs 850 THB inclusive of the transfer from your hotel in Koh Samui to the ferry pier and then the journey from there to Surat Thani Airport.
Buy Tickets from Koh Samui to Surat Thani Airport
Travel from Koh Samui to Surat Thani Airport – From 450 THB
Option 1: Raja Ferry Company
- The Raja Ferry Company will take you all the way from your hotel anywhere on Koh Samui all the way to Surat Thani Airport.
- The journey time of 5 hours 30 minutes allows for around 2 hours for all the hotel picks ups to be completed.
- The Raja Ferry leaves from Lipa Noi pier.
- The cost is 580 THB
The Raja Ferry is a car ferry service using a variety of different models of boats, most of which are fairly old and have basic facilities inside. The seating though is comfortable enough for the short 1 hour 30 minute crossing over to the mainland ferry port of Donsak.
When you arrive at Donsak ferry pier you transfer to a bus which takes you to Surat Thani airport. As you depart from the ferry walk along the ferry pier to the car park. There are normally several different buses and minivans waiting to take passengers onward to a variety of different destinations. To locate the correct bus show your ticket to one of the staff members waiting at the pier and they will point you in the direction of the correct bus or minivan for your onward journey to Surat Thani Airport
- Travel Times: Raja Ferry Service from Koh Samui to Surat Thani Airport
- Route Map: Chaweng Beach to Raja Ferry pier at Lipa Noi
- Distance from Chaweng to the Raja Ferry pier: 25.5 Kilometres
- Driving time from Chaweng to the Raja Ferry pier: 40 minutes
Option 2: Phantip Travel Company
- The Phantip Travel Service departs from Koh Samui Bus Station. Koh Samui Bus Station is 2.2 km South of Na Thon Town. See below for a location map.
- The cost is 450 THB.
The Phantip Travel company takes passengers by bus to the Seatran Car Ferry pier in Na Thon. After a 1 hour 30 minute sea crossing on the car ferry, passenger then transfer back to the bus for 1 hour 30 minute journey by road to Surat Thani Airport.
The Phantip Travel company offer a reliable, cheap and quick service and this is the service favoured by many of the residents of Koh Samui. However, the downside of using this service is that you need to make your own way to Koh Samui Bus Station. To get to Koh Samui Bus Station cheaply take a shared songtheaw taxi to Na Thon Pier and then take another shared or private taxi from there to the turning on the ring road to both the bus station and the Koh Samui hospital. it is a very short walk from the turning on the ring road to Koh Samui Bus Station.
- Travel Times: Phantip Travel Service from Koh Samui to Surat Thani Airport
- Location of Koh Samui Bus Station
Option 3: Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Company
- The Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Company provides the quickest service; they go direct from Donsak port on the mainland to Surat Thani Airport.
- The cost is 700 THB or 850 THB including hotel pick up in Koh Samui.
The Lomprayah ferry, for this route, leaves from the Na Thon Pier. You are advised to buy your tickets in advance as this is the most popular service from Koh Samui to Surat Thani Airport. The ferries are new and comfortable, with inside and outside seating as well as a small cafe selling drinks and snacks. Many passenger opt to head straight for the top sun deck to enjoy the views of the many islands set within the Gulf of Thailand visible on the way to the mainland.
Also, unlike the other ferry companies, the Lomprayah Company loads and unloads luggage for passengers. For those people travelling with young children will appreciate this additional help getting on and off the ferry.
- Travel Times: Lomprayah High Speed Ferry from Koh Samui to Surat Thani Airport
- Route Map: Chaweng Beach to the Lomprayah pier at Na Thon
- Distance from Chaweng to the Lomprayah pier (Na Thon): 22.9 Kilometres
- Driving time from Chaweng to the Lomprayah pier (Na Thon): 44 minutes
Option 4: Seatran Discovery Company
- The Seatran Discovery Company has modern ferries and buses but provides the slowest service from Koh Samui to Surat Thani Airport.
- The cost is 700 THB.
- The journey takes four hours with the Seatran Discovery Company.
However, the Seatran Discovery ferry pier at Bangrak is the closest pier to the popular towns of Chaweng, Lamai and Bophut. The journey from the Koh Samui to Surat Thani may take longer, but for most visitors to Koh Samui the journey from their hotel to ferry pier will be the shortest.
Seatran Discovery Ferries have inside seating downstairs and an outside covered deck upstairs. There are toilets and a small shop selling drinks and snack in the downstairs part of the boat.
- Travel Times: Seatran Discovery Ferry from Koh Samui to Surat Thani Airport
- Route Map: Chaweng Beach to the Seatran Discovery Pier at Bangrak
- Distance from Chaweng to the Seatran Discovery pier (Bangrak): 6.8 Kilometres
- Driving time from Chaweng to the Seatran Discovery pier (Bangrak): 16 minutes
Flights Departing From Surat Thani Before 10.30
A word of caution with this journey: if your flight is before 10.30, you need to travel to Surat Thani the night before and stay in a hotel. For flights from Surat Thani Airport the minimum time you must arrive before the plane is scheduled to depart is 45 minutes. Arrive after this and you may miss your flight.
Travel in Thailand is frequently subject to unforeseeable delays. This is particularly the case when boat journeys are involved. The weather in the Gulf of Thailand can change suddenly and in stormy seas the journey can take longer than expected and the ferry might not arrive on time either. To avoid missing your flight when you travel from Koh Samui, you need to leave yourself extra time – don’t count on anything being exactly on time, as generally it is not.
In you are in doubt over whether you make your flight we advise you to book a stay in Surat Thani. The best hotels are the Diamond Plaza, Wang Tai, and 100 Islands Resort. For a full list of hotels in Surat Thani, and how far they are from the airport, see Airport Hotels by Distance.