There are four companies which will take you directly from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport: 1. Raja Car Ferry Company, 2. Phantip Travel Company, 3. Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Company, and 4. Seatran Discovery Company. The quickest option takes 3 hours 30 minutes, and the slowest option takes around 5 hours. Tickets prices range from 480 THB per person to 800 Thai Baht booked online.
Comparison of the Four Services from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport
|Ticket Price||Travel Time|
|Raja Ferry||480 THB||4 hrs 30 min|
|Phantip Travel||580 THB||4 hrs 30 min|
|Seatran Discovery||750 THB||5 hrs 00 min|
|Lomprayah Ferry||800 THB||3 hrs 45 min|
Buy Tickets from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport
Travel from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport – From 480 THB
Option 1: Raja Ferry Company
- Raja Ferry Company will take you all the way to Surat Thani Airport from Thong Sala Pier by ferry and then bus.
- Tickets cost 480 THB booked online.
The journey takes 4 hours 30 minutes with the Raja Ferry Company. The ferry journey is two and a half hours. This is a car ferry which is the slowest of the various ferries operating on the route from Koh Phangan to Donsak on the mainland. This company has newer and older ferries. The newer ones are better. Both types of ferry have a shop where you can buy drinks and snacks, toilets and comfortable seating.
On arrival at Donsak ferry pier on the mainland you transfer to a bus to Surat Thani city, a journey which takes which takes approximately an hour. From Surat Thani city it then a 45 minute journey in the same bus, or sometimes a minivan, to the airport. The scheduled times leave make little allowance for connection times and bad traffic. Allow for this service to be up to an hour late arriving so that you do not miss your flight.
- Travel Times: Raja Ferry Service from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport
Option 2: Phantip Travel Company
- The Phantip Travel company uses the same route as the Raja Ferry Company, and Phantip customers travels on the Raja Car Ferry.
- Tickets cost 580 THB booked online.
The Phantip Travel service is virtually identical to the Raja Ferry Service for an additional 100 THB on the ticket price. You may however find that the travel times of the Phantip Travel Company are more convenient and therefore the extra 100 THB per person is worth paying.
- Travel Times: Phantip Travel Service from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport
Option 3: Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Company
- The Lomprayah service is much quicker, although more expensive at 800 THB one way.
- They go direct from Donsak port on the mainland to Surat Thani Airport.
The Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Service is the most popular transport provider for the Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport and they often sell out of tickets in advance of the day of travel. The Lomprayah service is particularly busy around the time of the monthly Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan, and in the high season months of January, April and August each year. These are big boats but they still often have less seats available than the number of people who want to travel at busy times. Booking in advance is always a good idea.
The popularity of this service is to down three things:
- The services is fast. The Lomprayah Company does the journey in 3 hours 45 minutes, which is 45 minutes quicker than anyone else.
- The ferries and buses they use are modern with good facilities.
- The staff are helpful. This is the only ferry service where they carry your luggage on and off the ferry for you.
- Travel Times: Lomprayah Service from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport
Option 4: Seatran Discovery Company
- The Seatran Discovery Company has comfortable boats and luxury buses. But provides the slowest service from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport.
- The cost is 750 THB.
The journey takes five hours.
- Travel Times: Seatran Discovery Service from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport
Flights Departing Before 10.30
A word of caution with this journey: if your flight is before 10.30, you will need to travel to Surat Thani the night before and stay in a hotel. For flights from Surat Thani Airport the minimum time you must arrive before the plane is scheduled to depart is 45 minutes. Arrive after this and you may miss your flight.
Travel in Thailand is frequently subject to delays. This is particularly the case when boat journeys are involved. The weather in the Gulf of Thailand is changeable and in rough seas the journey can take longer than expected. To avoid missing your flight when you travel from Koh Phangan you need to leave yourself extra time.
If you are in doubt over whether you can make your flight we advise you to stay in Surat Thani for the evening before your flight. Some of the hotels, such as the Diamond Plaza, Wang Tai, and 100 Islands Resort are pleasant places to stay. For a full list of hotels in Surat Thani see:
Location of Thong Sala Pier in Koh Phangan
- All services from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport departs from Thong Sala Pier
Route Map: Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport
- Total Distance from Koh Phangan to Surat Thani Airport: 171 Kilometres
- Distance by ferry from Koh Phangan to Donsak ferry pier: 61 Kilometres
- Distance by road from Donsak ferry pier to Surat Thani airport: 110 Kilometres